Thursday, December 6, 2007

Stupid Government, Part II, AKA the nice lady

I had a call today from the woman who tried to help me yesterday to untangle the ridiculous web of getting Adara's passport. She called the birth registration offices for me, found out that I should have my birth certificate in the next 10 days and that I should never have been sent to get a travel letter. Then,she took down the confirmation number of my application, and is now calling the office back to see exactly when I'll get it in order to guarantee that we can travel.
She didn't have to do this. Her job is just to issue travel letters,and tell me when she can't. I'm completely impressed that she not only took down my number, but called me the next day, and then called herself to check up on our application, even though I have the number and could have done it myself. The government may be stupid, but they still have some awfully nice people working for them. So thanks Gail, this was very un-Toronto and un-government bureaucracy of you. It makes me feel really good that there's people like you out there!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every once in a while, someone reaches out through the phone and demonstrates some real humanity. It is restorative. I'm glad you had this experience to temper the other!

Kendra said...

I was kind of shocked that she was so helpful, really. Sometimes even people in Toronto can be cool!