Sunday, April 27, 2008


So, I sold my Toyota Rav 4 Tonight.  We listed it on Craigslist, had an email 10 minutes later and 30 minutes later it was sold, cash.

I should be,and in some ways am, happy about this.

However, cars are often symbolic. 

 I purchased this car five and a half years ago, at a particular moment in my life.  I was transitioning from my stage management life to my administrative life, I hadn't decided if I was staying with Len or not, I was all about myself and my career and what I wanted.  I bought the car, and proceeded to spend three years running around southwestern ontario, visiting people, camping, going to parties, running from job to job and generally living life as a twenty something. It was a standard , and I loved mastering the operation of it.  It was an awesome car, never a problem with it.  I was in a seven car pile up on one winter morn in Toronto,and only my car drove away from it. I drove over massive snowbanks with it, and Lyndee and I got it stuck at the beach and pushed it out of the snow on our own.  I loved this car with an unholy passion.  It became a symbol of my freedom and independence. It was, and remains, the only thing of any real value that I have bought, paid for and owned on my own.  Yes, I own a portion of my house, furniture, etc.  But, I owned that car outright, it was mine. 

Just before the baby was born, people started to point out to me that the car had 325,000 clicks and a somewhat dodgy clutch and brakes.  This was true, and fixable, but we didn't have the cash, and weren't convinced that it was worth investing the money.
 So, we took it off the road when the baby was born, borrowed my moms car and debated about what we wanted to do with it.  Tonight I sold it to an extremely slick early twenty something gino (italian boy) who knew a lot about cars and was studying to be a lawyer.  He arrived in 30 minutes and paid in cash.  He was hot, and had ridiculously cool shoes and I know that my car will have fun with him.  But I miss it already.
I drove away from my wedding in this car, I went to the hospital in labour in this car and I brought my baby home in this car.  I cried when he left. 
So, now it's really goodbye to the twenties (at thirty one!) and the me me me days.  Sayonara, Adios, Au revoir, I'll miss ya my sweet Rav 4!

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand your feelings. You probably never met my blue pick up truck. I bought it with my treeplanting loot in the early 90's and it was my constant companion and liberator through my fabulous, adventure-filled twenties. The beaches, the snowbanks, the country theatres, camping, drive-ins etc...I know the times of which you speak. I too, sold it, cash, to a young fella who dropped it down, souped it up and added enough decals and chrome doo-dads to make it feel like a whole new truck. I once had a mother black bear climb into the back of that truck while I slept in the cab! I hear ya - I'm also happy to be car-free - but there are certainly memories and freedoms you will miss.

Anonymous said...

The lovely thing is that now you know the power of that independence, you'll never let it leave again. So the car left - the ability to stand on your own 2 feet didn't. I understand how you feel and I know, with your next career move (whatever it is), you'll pick it right back up!

Wanna come for dinner tues/weds?

Anonymous said...

Hey there

I never had a car of my own that I felt that close to. Greg's first 2 cars were like mine though. My first car was Mom's old sentra and then I bought 4 dr reliable ford...not a fun mobile.

In fact, I am turning 35 this week and i more attached to my red hot mama mobile than any previous vehicle! Funny eh?

Anonymous said...

Yikes, Kristen turns 35...now I feel really old!!! and that makes Grammie Fry really really old this week. Love the videos, they make me smile and Adara's laugh brought smiles to all the profs in offices close to mine. Weird, but all the men got misty-eyed talking about when they had young children.
:-)~AR

Kendra said...

Thanks for the encouraging words all! It really does help. Dennie, love to come for dinner, but the babe sleeps so early (6:30pm). I can keep her up later, but she gets mean! Want to come here and do dinner?