Wednesday, January 2, 2008

My baby loves me


So, I headed home for Christmas with lots of trepidation.  The baby had been crying and fussing a lot and I wasn't sure that I was up to trying to soothe her with tonnes of guests, family, friends and events going on at home.  I'd even thought about not going, the idea was so overwhelming.  But, Len promised that we'd manage together and that he wouldn't let me get too stressed and all would be fine and well.  We merrily drove home, and by late night on the 23rd Len had a massive fever and was delirious.  I was convinced that the gods were against me.  
But, you know what, things turn out the way that they were meant to.  Adara, changed over night.  She became easily contented, soothed with little difficulty and loved being played with by anyone and everyone. Three days after Christmas she had taught herself to suck her thumb and since then has been soothing herself to sleep sucking her thumb about a quarter of the time.  Pretty great for not yet three months!  She spent two entire hours one night lying on the sofa between her Poppa (grandfather) and I determinedely sticking her thumb in , sucking and having it fall out.  Then she'd try again, no crying, just stubborn determination.  By the next day, she had it mastered.  Since then, things have been going really well.  She and I seem to have gotten each other figured out and she rarely seems to be in pain anymore.  IN short , my almost Christmas disaster became a Christmas miracle.  Thanks Adara, I love you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear the great news! I sure wish my boys had been willing to suck their thumbs! Beautiful photo of you and Adara - new 'profile' photo?