Thursday, January 3, 2008

Brain kickstart

Ok, so I've noticed that my blog is entirely about my baby.  This isn't entirely bad, one friends blog is also entirely about her baby, while another's is about her exploits in the single life, it's natural to a certain extent and, after all, the blog is named after her.
However, I think that I need to kickstart my brain with a little help from you, dear reader.
So, potential topics to discuss
1) assasination of Bhutto in pakistan. Is this like the assasination of Archduke Ferdinand that started WWI?  Is this the potential beginning of a war in the middle east resulting in a world wide war?
2) This weeks NOW magazine listing of the best theatre of 2007.  Do we agree with the choices, who should have been on the list who wasn't?  Should my beloved The Sheep and the Whale have made the list instead of just the honourable mentions?
3) Robert Latimer. Should he have been given day release from prison at his parole hearing?  Does anyone really think that he's likely to reoffend?  (He's the guy who killed his severely handicapped child by carbon monoxide poisoning her in his car, just in case you don't remember)
So, you vote.  What shall we discuss?  Then, I'll try and learn something about that thing and develop an opinion.  If no one responds, I shall assume that I'm read entirely by other moms who really don't have time to think about this stuff; and that's all ok too!

6 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm reading a new book called "how motherhood makes you smarter" but I'm only on the first chapter, and not only am I not convinced yet, I can only think about one thing at a time, so I'll have to refrain on commenting!

Anonymous said...

Not Latimer - (though they should just leave the poor guy alone & let him go) - now that I'm a parent, that whole scenario is dreadfully painful to imagine. There was an interesting bit on the Current this morning about Bhutto and whether or not she advanced the status of women in Pakistan during her tenure - didn't get to hear it all, of course!

Anonymous said...

The trial judge who actually heard the Latimer case stated in his written decision, " ... on the basis of the evidence presented at this trial, there is no suggestion, by any witness who testified or for that matter by Crown counsel, that he was in any way motivated by her disability. All the evidence points to his concern for the pain which he saw flowing from her illness. So on the evidence heard, I could not conclude Mr. Latimer ever considered killing his daughter because she was disabled." "In summary, the evidence etsablishes he is a caring and responsible person and that his relationshiup with Tracy was that of a loving and protective parent." "I repeat again that in my opinion the evidence does not in any way suggest he killed his daughter because she was so severely disabled."

It should also be noted that Robert Latimer is the only person in recorded Canadian history to be sentenced to even a single day in prison for a mercy killing.

Kendra said...

Ok.... lots to think about. Jenn, why does motherhood make you smarter?
Gretel, I'm totally with you. I'm fascinated/appalled with the Latimer case now that I"m a mom. I can't imagine harming my child, but I also want to immediately put an end to anything that is hurting her.
Anonymous, that's my thought to. He wasn't trying to make his life easier, he was trying to release his child from pain. My thought only.... I do wish that they had given him day pass. I think that it's incredibly brave of him to just refuse to be contrite for them.
Back to Gretel, I did there the whole thing on the current. They really didn't say anything about what Bhutto had or hadn't done for feminism. All they said was that she should have done more but that it's hard in a fundamentalist state. However, they never said what she had done.

Anonymous said...

Seems to me that Bhutto probably did all that was possible for women without losing her position, by simply BEING a woman in power. It was pointed out that in order to stay in power she had to create certain strategic alliances with conservative groups and indidividuals - I think that it was naive of anyone to think that great, sudden strides could be made for women in such a short time in Pakistan. Such things take time to evolve. They will stick better if they come gently and are not forced upon those who resist. all that said - I want it better for women in such countries, now! Sigh.

Kendra said...

Ok. Controversial, but I think that Bhutto was also a bit arrogant in her approach. She seemed to have a "democracy at all costs approach" that I think cost a lot of people their lives in the attacks on her. Was her approach ever going to achieve democracy? Or did those people die because of her pipe dream? I"m not sure actually, just questioning.