Thursday, June 19, 2008

Mamma Thoughts

How do you decide when to prioritize yourself and when to prioritize your family? How do you make a decision that you know is slightly selfish but will make you really happy, you think? As I begin the transition to returning to work, I'm really struggling with my work/mom identity. Plus I'm getting really nostalgic and painting my mom life in rosy colours that aren't always true. I'm finding on returning from the PACT conference that I am perfectly capable of operating in mom brain, and professional brain and that my skills are returning. But I can't but feel slightly sad for the coming end of my baby honeymoon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there

Well...I think you put baby first and job second ALWAYS but you enjoy your work time guilt free. You do this by realizing that you're a very bright and creative person who has a lot to offer the arts world. When you honour this, you honour your gifts and you show Adara that Momma's are amazing critters. Also by realizing that baby Adara is an expensive little darlin and you're gonna need the cash you realize that going to work really is about her too. Then you take a deep breath every morning and kiss her sweet little neck and head off to work. Some days you cry about it, some days you rejoice at the freedom....
Does that help?

Anonymous said...

You are the best example of what a woman can do in this world that Adara will have. And sometimes that will mean showing her that you value yourself. That could mean taking time for yourself, that could mean allowing yourself to pursue a career, that could just mean a bubble bath with no interruptions.
And each day you will make and remake the decision.
If the art of being a parent is flexibility, then allow the same ebb and flow for yourself.
My kid is always in my top 2 priorities...but sometimes to bring him a stronger mom... he's number 2 for a few hours.
He's never been excluded from my career or my friends or my life - he's part of my every breath - but we're in this together vs. the tradition sacrificial role of motherhood.
much love