Friday, July 11, 2008

Life In the Fast Lane


Way back in February, I blogged about moving up to life in the medium lane as I got out in the world more and got my strength back. This week, Adara and I have officially begun our rev up back to life in the fast lane.
For Adara, this has meant a week in which she decided to throw herself bodily off of our futon (and not cry about it at all) and climb some steps. The steps happened after watching an older baby do them at the library. She got a look on her face like "Oh, I see", and then did all three steps like there was nothing to it. She was also bogeying through the park, stealing other babies pacifiers and crawling over door frames in order to follow me out to the deck. Needless to say she has opted for being very mobile!

For me, this is the last week of maternity leave. I start part time next week at my new job, and then full time the week after. I don't know what to make of this. My leave has been so up and down, filled with beautiful enlightening glorious moments, and utter dull boredom. It has been exhilarating and infuriating. As I'm writing this, it suddenly occurs to me that I could be describing any period of my life. Lif is always both exhilarating and infuriating. Why did I think that maternity leave would be different?
I've definitely come to peace with my decision to go back to work early. Len is completely psyched to try out being at home for awhile, and I've completely lost patience with the rounds of food, dishes, diapers, laundry, pick up toys, pull out toys, repeat. I think that I'll feel more enthused about it when it's not my entire day.
My mother and I have been noticing lately how all of my horoscopes in the last little while have been about taking on new jobs and new challenges and about the need for change in order to move forward. I'm not a believer in horoscopes particularly, but I do believe that on occasion the world sends you a message. Perhaps this time it's sending it to me via gossip magazines and newspapers!

No comments: