Saturday, June 26, 2010

The night it became my Toronto

Tonight, Toronto became my home as opposed to a place that I've lived for 14 years.

As I watch my city completely over run by hooligans determined to cause chaos and distract from true democratic process protesters, I am appalled, scared and upset.
Anarchist forces have entered the city and started attacking independent shop owners, homes and even the St. Lawrence Markets. These are non corporate targets that it serves no purpose to attack, they are not pro G20 nor are they the so called "fat cat corporations". They are citizens of my city who are simply trying to live their lives.

Len has been called back downtown to the security zone to take a show out that was supposed to happen tonight, because they are afraid that it will get attacked. As he went back into the thick of it Adara asked if "daddy would be ok or would he come home in an ambulance from the emergency". Appalling. This is not my city, nor, I would bet, are the majority of these demonstrators Torontian, or even Canadian. To top it all off Stephen Harper announced a week ago that he would not be providing any recompense for businesses that have to shut down (the Mirvishes for an entire week), or are damaged (St. Lawrence Markets).

Meanwhile, near my theatre, several police cars are on fire. This neighbourhood is notorious for very old wood buildings, all fully attached, and when fires start, it blows out an entire block. It happened two years ago. I'm hoping that my 180 year old theatre will survive this, but I'm not going down to check.

I never knew that I had any feeling for my city. It has been the place where I have worked and played, but I've felt no real connection to it. Tonight I am a Torontonian. I am furious at Stephen Harper for the complete lack of care he shows to Toronto on a day to day basis, and his decision to hold such a dangerous event in the direct heart of my city. As he has no votes in Toronto anyways, he clearly doesn't care what we think.

I realize that it's popular to hate Toronto. But this is my home. This is where I work and play, where my friends live and where my daughter was born. I am deeply connected to hundreds of people in this city and am fearful for them tonight. I never knew how much I viewed Toronto as an intensely peaceful, culturally vital, charitably minded community of neighbours. I wish my neighbours peace and good health tonight.

2 comments:

ur sista said...

I agree fully with your comments. I wonder why all those "curious people" just don't take a hike and let the police do their jobs.

Ironic that 2 soldiers died today in Afghanistan protecting the Human Rights of all people, including free speech, freedom of assembly and freedom from police violence. Yet a small group of protesters use this "right" to terrorize an entire city.

dennie said...

thank you for this. As I sit here at 2:30 monitoring activity to make sure employees will be safe tomorrow (we're still telling them to not come downtown), the madness out there is depressing.

we will all be safe. and our city will come together to rebuild. we just have to believe this.