Saturday, June 12, 2010

Newfoundland

Here's some shots from my recent trip to Newfoundland, to Cow Head which is in Gross Morne Park. I was there on work for the conference of the Professional Association of Canadian theatres, a national organization of about 150 theatres to which we belong. the PACT conference is actually weirdly like my major vacation each year. I get to spend five days completely immersed in talking about the issues and joys of creating theatre, attend sessions on that, explore the landscape, play some cards, drink too much , and this time even sing some karoake. All while seeing another part of the country; it's kind of like summer camp for theatre practitioners. Each year while I do this Adara has her big vacation with Grammy and Pappa and Len takes on some major house project while we're away. Grammy and Poppa and Adara had a great time, and Len accomplished a lot this year, all to be shared in future blog entries.
First up on the pics is the "boat of salads"! On our last night, the church ladies threw us a big lobster supper and this is how they serve up all of the salads that come with the lobster. Dinner came with wine too and they sang a beautiful acapella grace before dinner. It was gorgeous!
It made me think a bit about my grandpa slesser and how much he loved a church dinner and how he would have appreciated the newfie version of it. Come to think of it, my grandpa Fry who was a united minister probably would have dug it too.


Next is all of the gorgeous landscape pics. I went on the most freezing cold, snowing boat cruise that one can possibly imagine, but it was beautiful. This was through one of the inland lakes near Cow Head



In Cow Head we all stayed at the shallow bay motel, and I had a great little cottage there, as did many of my colleagues. We played a few good games of cards, which kind of made me feel like I was in highschool again. I also found myself backing up a good colleague as he sang the B52's "Love Shack' one night for the local karoake. Questionable at 2 in the morning with all of your workers partners present, but an awful lot of fun!


So, as always, a great deal of fun. Next year is in Barrie. Now, why doesn't that sound as exciting as Cow Head? Oh well, I'll let you all know at this time next year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful scenery. So glad you were able to turn the conference into a mini vacation!! You deserved it. One of the perks in a working world./SP