Sunday, January 24, 2010

Special

Adara and I were unexpectedly solo today (Lens' overnight work call was a lot more then overnight). In order to make myself feel better about the loss of my sunday morning swim, Adara and I went out for brunch at a place where I've wanted to go for a couple of yeara, Relish. I had poached eggs on manchego cheese, drizzled with truffle oil. Adara had "bread and buttah", her request and we had tea and milk. Adara was an angel, very charming and polite. She asked for a cup so that she could share my tea. She often has a tiny amount of my tea with a lot of milk and honey. It makes her feel a part of things when Len or I say "Want a cup of tea?" and she's included in that
.
The lovely waitress brought her a tiny espresso cup for her tea and Adara was thrilled. A "vewy special cup, just for Dawa (Adara)" she declared. Sadly after 2 minutes of ecstasy with this cup, while explaining to the older couple at the next table how special it was, she dropped it and broke the handle off. The restaurant was lovely and not annoyed and she didn't cry at all, just moved on. But there was this fleeting look on her face, this frustration and annoyance with loving this thing and then it being over.

How often do we all feel that way? How often do we stay at a party too long trying to hold onto a golden moment only to realize that we're too tired to take part. How often do we hesitate to use a beloved but breakable beautiful thing, because we're afraid that today will be the clutsy day and we'll break it. In the first year that I had Adara she broke four of my necklaces including one that had a lovely story to it that had been bought with Len in the Dominican Republic. I was sad and annoyed at each one, but kept putting on necklaces, even after Len pointed out that it might not be a good idea. Why? Because life should contain inspiring, lovely things every day, not just on "special" days.

Life is lovely. Go out there and break it.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Ohhh...a tea party! I love tea parties.