Friday, October 17, 2008

Happy One Year Adara


Dear Adara: Happy First Birthday, baby girl.
I've had a hard time sitting down to write this letter to you this month. I've been overcome with emotion about this day for nearly two months leading up to it. I've been reliving the past year and I hardly know how to tell you what I feel. I think that your birthday has replaced my own as a marker in my life now; a place to reflect, consider and redirect.
When I was pregnant with you, at yoga class they asked us to visualize what kind of mamma we wanted to be. Only one word came to my mind; joyous.
Looking back over the past year, there has been much joy. Don't get me wrong, there's been much sleeplessness, frustration, anxiety and general "figuring you out" sort of days too. But I think that your father and I have achieved the goal of joy. Much of that has to do with you.
Adara, you've proven to have a very sweet, open nature, generous with your smiles, laughs and hugs. You love to play games with us and giggle over the silliest things.
You've also got a will of sheer steel. You fall off of and over things all the time, but barely ever cry. You insist on eating what you want, being changed when you want, and reading and playing with what you want. You are a force to be reckoned with. I think that it will serve you well in the world.
In the past year you have gone from an infant lying against my breast clinging tight to me, to a toddler, running off with your bottle down the street yelling "Ba, Ba (bye, bye)" at us and grinning. You have no fear.
I have had the privilege to cuddle and feed you, comfort and rock you, dress you and walk endlessly with you, play and read to you, and now watch and marvel as you take on the world. We couldn't be prouder.
Happy Birthday my Bella.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Adara's birthday, Kendra. Indeed theirs become more significant than ours. Congratulations on the ballroom dancing night - sounds wonderful.